Frequently Asked Questions
Do we accept Medicaid or First Choice?
- No, we have a sliding scale, self-pay system based on your yearly household income and the number of people living in your house. This allows us to provide affordable therapy to a broad range of socioeconomic needs in our community.
- It is important to us that all people have access to quality care; so if you feel your fee is unmanageable, you may ask your counselor at any point for a fee reduction application. You and your counselor will discuss your financial situation and determine a fee that you can afford. We do ask that our clients keep in mind that as a small non-profit, we rely on client fees to keep our offices running.
Do we have any Medical Doctors (MDs) or psychiatrists?
- No, we do not have any MDs or Psychiatrists on staff at this time. Here, we are psychotherapists trained in Marriage and Family Therapy. We do not offer complete psychological evaluations.
What is a psychotherapist?
- A clinician who interacts with patients to initiate change in the client’s thoughts, feelings, and behavior through adaptation. These therapists provide sessions in individual and group settings.
Can our therapists prescribe medications?
- No. EMERGE does not have any psychiatrists or medical doctors on staff to prescribe ANY medications.
Where are we located?
- As of April 2017, our main office is conveniently located near Mary Black Hospital on Dillon Drive.
- Our new address is:
- 138 Dillon Drive, Spartanburg, SC 29307
Do you see children?
- As marriage and family therapists, we encourage working with entire families, but we also see couples and individuals.
Do you offer Parenting classes?
- Please call our office at (864) 583-1010 on the availability of parenting classes.
Do you offer Anger Management classes?
- Please call our office at (864) 583-1010 on the availability of anger management classes.
Do you work with addictions?
- We will see you if you are not currently or actively using, or you are in recovery.
- If you are currently using, please contact The Forrester Center for Behavioral Health at (864) 582-7588 ext 321.
How do I get started with counseling? How do I become a client?
- To become a client at EMERGE, please contact us at (864) 583-1010 to begin our intake process. After you have been matched with a therapist, your therapist will contact you to schedule your first appointment.
How soon can I see a therapist?
- New clients generally see a therapist within a week of contacting EMERGE. Every once in a while we have a waiting list which the office staff will let you know during your intake call.
Do I need to bring proof of income?
- You will be required to bring proof of income on your first visit. If you do not have income please talk with us. We work with people of all income levels to ensure that therapy services are affordable.
Are there any post-graduate internship positions available? Undergraduate internships?
- For post-graduate internship inquiries, please contact our Post-Degree Institute Director at (864) 583-1010.
- For undergraduate internship inquiries, please contact our Operations Director at (864) 583-1010.
EMERGE Family Therapy Center & Teaching Clinic
138 Dillon Drive, Spartanburg, SC 29307